Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Magic Behind Mellow


Featured Massage Therapist
Shannon Ward, LMT




Shannon Ward is a Licensed Massage Therapist from New York State. She has been with Mellow since 2007. Here, she practices Swedish, deep tissue, sports and chair massage. Below is a short interview with Shannon:


You are known for your fabulous deep tissue massages. What are some techniques you incorporate that make your work so effective?

~~I like to use my forearms and elbows in sessions. They allow me to use more pressure in a broader area. I also position the client so that the muscle needing work is in the optimal position to be released. In addition, light stretching gives good results. Most importantly, I "listen to the muscles" and and don't over work them. Knowing when to ease up is just as important as knowing when to give more pressure.


How do you relax after a long day of massaging?

~~I take baths with Epsom salt and warm water. I'll also use a heating pad on particularly sore areas. Playing guitar is also a great way for me to de-stress!



What's the most important tip you give to your clients?

~~Drink lots of water! It helps to hydrate your muscles. After a massage, water helps to flush the lactic acid out of your muscles.

No comments: