Monday, May 10, 2010

Featured Massage Therapist

Laura Turk is one of Mellow Massage Therapy Center's most dedicated therapists.  She has been with Mellow since the center opened over 2 years ago.  Her diverse therapeutic background (including everything from energy work to deep tissue massage) makes her a well-rounded massage therapist with a full range of modalities to offer her clients.

  ~ Before becoming a wellness professional, you were in the military. What made you decide to become a massage therapist?

After my enlistment ended I worked for the military as a civilian.  My last assignment as such was at Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, WA, where I helped run their corporate wellness program for the soldiers.  My boss was an RN who was extremely passionate about health, fitness and wellness, and that lit a fire under me to be in a health-related profession.  While still in that job, I began getting massages myself, and that led me specifically to massage when the opportunity came for me to change career directions.

~ You offer your clients wonderful stretches to do between massage therapy sessions.  What are some of your favorite stretches you do to keep yourself healthy?

Up and down head nods, back and forth head shakes, backward shoulder rolls, door-jam pectoral stretches, and seated lower back stretches are the ones I most frequently practice.  The main thing is to keep fresh oxygenated blood pumping into the muscles you use all the time, by keeping them moving.  Don't go more than 1- 1 1/2 hours between stretching if you do repetitive tasks or keep your muscles in a stationary position for an extended period of time.

~ You take a lot of massage and bodywork continuing education classes.  Which one has been your favorite thus far?

Comfort Touch, which I took out in Lakewood, CO.  I actually took this class before I finished my massage therapy program.  It completely impacted how I do massage, not just treating the muscles. I have learned to be fully present with the entire person.  I believe that's why I have such a wonderful rapport with all of my clients.

No comments: